Saturday, 23 March 2013

Lesson 1- Louise Silk Lesson


Lesson 1 reflection:

            The kids worked with making fabric coasters with Louise Silk.  The project consisted of stitching a fabric heart, front and back cover, to a square of batting.  The kids took the whole class time to finish this project, and the ones who finished early wrote a valentine note for someone.  Overall the students worked hard on the project, although the needle and thread was difficult to deal with at times.  A few students had trouble with being motivated while working and finding confidence in their stitching, especially two of the boys. 
            For me, I feel it would be good to start the class off with having a casual chat with the students during snack time to get them switching gears from school to our art lesson.  Also it would be good to have a better introduction for the project, perhaps starting with a presentation for each class relating to the topic for the class project.  A few things that we need to be thinking about for the next lessons are time-management, clean-up time, and introductions for classes. 


Looking Back at the End of the Internship:

            I feel that we did a good job for our first lesson, and I feel that we gained a lot of knowledge for what we should do and would need for our following lessons.  I was glad that we got to work with the artist Louise Silk, so the kids were able to learn from someone other than us.  I know that we struggled at first deciding whether or not we wanted Louise Silk to be a part of our lesson, but I am glad we did it because it gave a sense of how we should structure that class without just jumping into it.  Mostly, I think the kids did a great job at their first lesson, and they have grown so much since that lesson.              

No comments:

Post a Comment